Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What's for Breakfast: Turkey Sausage Muffin

By Ed Bruske
aka The Slow Cook

Since my daughter transferred to a different elementary school this year, I've had a much tougher time getting my hands on ingredient information for the meals. Typically they're pasted onto the shipping boxes that the frozen meal components arrive in. It was pretty easy to dive into the dumpster outside the school and retrieve them. I saved a whole box full at home, giving me a reference to use in these posts.

Under the "Healthy Schools Act" approved last spring by the D.C. Council, the public schools were required to post meal ingredients where the public could easily see them. School officials said the ingredients would be part of a new website. When the website did not appear for the beginning of school in the fall, school officials said it would be ready sometime in November. Now it's January, a new year is upon us, and still no website, still no ingredient information.

Thus, I regret I cannot tell you what is in this turkey sausage. Presumably its turkey and a number of additives to make it taste like sausage, processed in some distant food factory and shipped to the District of Columbia to be re-heated in the school's steamer or convection oven.

The most unfortunate part is the cheese, which is sprinkled onto the muffin than melted. It doesn't look especially appetizing, does it?

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that it made me smile to think about you dumpster diving! Your devotion to the cause knows no limits!

    ReplyDelete