Friday, May 6, 2011

What's for Breakfast: Cinnamon Oatmeal

By Ed Bruske
aka The Slow Cook

For this usual perspective on breakfast you can thank a Kindergarten boy who, given a chance to photograph his lunch, now wants to take pictures of all his meals.

The kitchen manager held her breath, afraid the little guy would drop the camera. I had to assure her he was already well versed in the process. As you can see, he does an excellent job. I would even say he's very enthusiastic about it.

Maybe we have a new school food journalist in the making?

This was the first time I'd seen cinnamon flavored oatmeal in the lunch room and from what I tasted it was quite good. There's nothing mysterious about it: the lunch ladies simply cook instant oatmeal in a stainless hotel pan in the steamer, then stir in cinnamon and a little sugar.

I guess this qualifies as "scratch" cooking. The kids then have their choice of a fresh apple, juice, plain milk and string cheese. I was glad to see this little boy eating the string cheese.

2 comments:

  1. It's great to hear about kids being excited about food and discussing it. It would be great to see a week of his photos. From what you saw, were a lot of kids eating the oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the apple? Do kindergarten kids actually eat a whole apple? Could there not be a cool apple slicer/corer available for them? At my school I have noticed that kids eat slices (mine) when they use my nifty Oxo slicer.

    ReplyDelete