Friday, May 6, 2011

What's for Breakfast: Cinnamon Oatmeal

By Ed Bruske
aka The Slow Cook

For this usual perspective on breakfast you can thank a Kindergarten boy who, given a chance to photograph his lunch, now wants to take pictures of all his meals.

The kitchen manager held her breath, afraid the little guy would drop the camera. I had to assure her he was already well versed in the process. As you can see, he does an excellent job. I would even say he's very enthusiastic about it.

Maybe we have a new school food journalist in the making?

This was the first time I'd seen cinnamon flavored oatmeal in the lunch room and from what I tasted it was quite good. There's nothing mysterious about it: the lunch ladies simply cook instant oatmeal in a stainless hotel pan in the steamer, then stir in cinnamon and a little sugar.

I guess this qualifies as "scratch" cooking. The kids then have their choice of a fresh apple, juice, plain milk and string cheese. I was glad to see this little boy eating the string cheese.


  1. It's great to hear about kids being excited about food and discussing it. It would be great to see a week of his photos. From what you saw, were a lot of kids eating the oatmeal?

  2. What about the apple? Do kindergarten kids actually eat a whole apple? Could there not be a cool apple slicer/corer available for them? At my school I have noticed that kids eat slices (mine) when they use my nifty Oxo slicer.