Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What's for Breakfast: Cranberry Muffin

By Ed Bruske

aka The Slow Cook

Tuesday seems to be homemade muffin day at my daughter's elementary school. We see all different kinds of muffins--or "muffin squares," as Chartwells calls them--made by our kitchen manager. She's been working in cafeterias for 25 years, so I guess making a muffin is nothing new to her.

This particular muffin is made with cornmeal, flour, eggs, sugar and dried cranberries. I liked it--a bit sweeter than I'd make it for myself. But still, it was a good muffin. I could easily see it next to a cold glass of buttermilk.

But I don't think the kids liked the cranberries much. This is what I saw on quite a few trays: kids picking the cranberries out of the muffins.

"I don't like cranberries," one girl explained.

You can't really argue with that. Dried cranberries are definitely a matter of taste. And what kids don't like, they won't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment