Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's for Breakfast: Bagel & Egg

By Ed Bruske
aka The Slow Cook

I've spent less time lately hunting down the packaging labels that would indicate the ingredients in items like this whole wheat bagel. So unfortunately, until I do find the label or until the D.C. schools post the ingredients as required under the Healthy Schools Act passed earlier this year, I can't tell you what's in it. You can expect that it was shipped frozen from a factory somewhere and thawed in the school kitchen.

The egg patty in this sandwich also would have been processed and purchased frozen for re-heating under last year's food service scheme. But this year, our kitchen ladies are making egg dishes from scratch using pre-packaged liquid eggs.





This is what the sandwich looks like on the inside. Most of the calories are in the bagel, which also delivers a truckload of carbs.

5 comments:

  1. It is clear that a good deal more labor is going into the meals this year. Was there a increase in staffing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No increase in staffing, Lisa. They may have added slightly more hours to the schedule, or they may be using their allotted time more effectively. I really don't know at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if that was as dry as it looks? Just looking at the picture, I feel the need to slather on some salsa. Even ketchup would be better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm I wonder if Chartwells invested some time & effort into their staff's training over the summer. Interesting . . . thanks, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Lisa, there was training over the summer. And when I get a full accounting of it, I plan to pass it along.

    ReplyDelete