Friday, October 1, 2010

What's for Lunch: Lunchables Pizza

By Ed Bruske
aka The Slow Cook

Now here's a concept I totally do not understand: building your own cold pizza.

Don't get me wrong. I've been a huge fan of leftover pizza all my life, even though I try to avoid starchy foods now. But this Lunchables one fourth-grader brought from home looks more like wafer crackers with sides of processed cheese, pepperoni and a packet of tomato sauce. Then again, pizza is kids' favorite food.

According to the packaging, this lunch contains 36 grams of sugar--or 9 teaspoon--but I think that comes from a packet of "all natural fruit punch flavored 100% juice from concentrate" and a cherry-flavored Airheads dessert.

Airheads apparently attact kids with their neon colors. According to the company website, the cherry version is made from sugar in various forms, including, well, sugar along with corn syrup, maltodextrin, dextrose, modified food starch (corn), artifical flavors, Red 40 and some trans fat in the form of partially-hydrogenated soybean oil. A real treat, eh?

In fact, the little Airheads package is open before the pizza's even been touched.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't quite get the pizza lunchables thing, myself... even though as an adult, I find them to come in handy for a quick snack. I should chastise myself for going the junk route, but those lil' ham and swiss cracker snacks are pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck. I can't believe how bad that is....

    ReplyDelete